Tuesday, May 14, 2013


Amiri Baraka “Way out West”

This poem is about change and acceptance, Amiri has a talent of expressing his poems in a realistic way, as in connecting his poems to the reader.  I respect his style and approach in his poems because it relatable and very relevant to majority of readers.  His poems are not emotional, but very remorseful and permissive.  In this poem, Amiri used nature as a way of expression to describe his past, or an era where life was simple and easy going.  I like most of Amiri’s poems, but I favored this particular one because it’s very relatable to me and relevant for me.  There was a time in life where I appreciate living standards more as oppose to this era.  I notice in this poem Amiri dedicated it to Gary Snyder which I think Amiri was referring to “Maverick Bar”.  It seems as though both poets use their surroundings to articulate their feelings, also both poets expressed their concerns about acceptance in a non-receptive way.  Maybe some of you can agree with me from reading both poems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment