Tuesday, May 14, 2013


Jimmy Santiago Baca “It would Be Neat If with the New Year”

 

This poem was very heartening and it has a very deep and coaxing approach for me.  The way how Jimmy exaggerates about his “boot” complements the title of this poem.  If you read this poem you would see where I’m coming from.  Jimmy also uses History, and Culture to express his emotions.  The way he delivers his past reminded me of my past and what I hold on to dearly to keep that momentum in my life.  The way how he connected jazz and music to his childhood gave me a better understanding of his style of poetry.  The beginning of this poem “It would be neat if with the new year” already gave me the indication that the poem has hope for a better future.  His desire for a new chapter in life would be intriguing to him because, he have hope, and more confidence.  Jimmy contemplates a lot about starting a new chapter in life, because it meant giving up some of the memory that bears with him which reference back to his “boot”.  He uses his “boot” as a tool of a new way of life, for instance buying a new pair of shoes give you a more sense of comfort it’s the same for jimmy except it’s hard to let go because of the memories it holds.  Maybe some of you can agree with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment